Antigua is one of my favorite places in the world to shoot weddings. From the food, to the landscapes, ruins, people, and culture, it is incredibly rich with photographic opportunity! The earthquake of 1773 (as well as a few others) destroyed many of the old churches leaving ruins that make amazing backdrops for photos. Antigua is the most popular destination in Guatemala but towns off Lake Atitlán and Flores (near the Tikal ruins) are close runner ups.
I specialize in destination weddings and have shot at many of the wedding venues in city of Antigua Guatemala. Although it is hard to go wrong in Antigua Guatemala when it comes to picking a venue, I have comprised a more detailed list of some of my favorite and, what I think are, the best wedding venues based on the light, variety of photos, and uniqueness.
Things to do in Antigua, Guatemala :
- Casa Santa Domingo – Museum of ruins, the ruins with the highest reviews and the most greenery.
- La Merced – A church that has been destroyed twice by earthquakes It’s worth taking a peak in but then hanging out in the square near by is the great for people watching and grabbing a local snack.
- The Plaza – Where you can see a little of everything, a big church, a view of the volcano, street vendors, and even horse and buggies.
- Pacaya Volcano – Hire a tour guide to take you up the side of this amazing volcano. It’s a very high altitude so while some parts are warm enough to roast marshmallows, bring a jacket to keep you warm at the top!
- Arco de Santa Catalina – Simply put, a historic arch near the middle of town, it’s a beautiful site!
- Cerro de la Cruz – A nice little hike up to the cross that towers over the town. Great place to get a scenic view of Antigua.
- La Recoleccion – Probably my favorite ruins spot, full of giant boulders and nooks and crannies.